To you...

This blog is for all the full time lovers of mas, kaiso, pan and soca. Its for all of you who hear soca in your dreams, who get excited at the first snip of braid and sequins, who get serious Carnival tabanca at the first beat of a soca, and who understand the meaning of "fete to fete" and "all night till morning!, who could pick up a bottle and some spoons and make sweet music in a riddim section, who could laugh at the satire of beautiful kaiso music and bawl out- oh lash, lyrics fuh so, who appreciate a corn soup and polouri an some bake an shark after a boss fete...is for all of we... all of us!

Thursday 15 July 2010

Shipwrecked: The Africa Edition

There have been so many band launches recently that I am officially behind on blogging but bear with me, my next blog will feature the theme of TOO MANY DAM SMALL BANDS and the need for unity within the environs of Notting Hill Carnival. Can you imagine if all these small bands join up what a glorious spectacle it would be to see 5 large sized bands on the road, uniform, bursting with winery on Carnival Day?

Anyway that's another blogpost. I went to Busspepper after I was consoled with a few complimentary tickets and because I wanted to see Shipwrecked. The theme for the first two years have been boss, and last year the Asian spin was so welcome that this year I guess it was imperative to have Shipwrecked in Africa. I was very impressed with the spin on the costuming- the leopard print is hawt hawt hawt and because I truly believe in the half way house of the fun mas as a midway point between full on costume and what I hate- TSHIRT mas- I have to give them their kudos. Patrons can opt for leggings or short shorts and the costumes are complete- hat, gloves, the works!

I jammed with Shipwrecked last year and I must say I think they have a bit of a reputation as some stoosh Trinis but go see for yuhself! They were all cool in the band in my opinion but the circle seems tight, almost impenetrable to be honest. Everybody in de band know everybody either from Convent or Bishops or elsewhere so if you looking to make friends or for a man for de day yuh might be in the wrong place.

Contact the bandleader for details including pricing etc.

Pics to follow.

3 comments:

  1. Hell yeah d costumes this year are hot !!!
    Well boy I have been with shipwrecked since day 1 and let me tell you if its one thing .... Stoosh they aint !!!
    I didn't go covent or bishops and over the years have made lots of good friends here ... In fact I find d section more international than anything else !!!
    I will be playing with dem again this year and would encourage anyone up for some bacchanal to do the same !!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. had been to the notting hill carnival for the first time and had a good time there..
    Pictures from this years carnival

    ReplyDelete