To you...

This blog is for all the full time lovers of mas, kaiso, pan and soca. Its for all of you who hear soca in your dreams, who get excited at the first snip of braid and sequins, who get serious Carnival tabanca at the first beat of a soca, and who understand the meaning of "fete to fete" and "all night till morning!, who could pick up a bottle and some spoons and make sweet music in a riddim section, who could laugh at the satire of beautiful kaiso music and bawl out- oh lash, lyrics fuh so, who appreciate a corn soup and polouri an some bake an shark after a boss fete...is for all of we... all of us!

Thursday 8 April 2010

We hotting up in Huddersfield

Ok so ah talk about Notting Hill, ah even go as far as Rotterdam quite in Holland, and Reading, so the Carnival addicts, I thought I should give you some info on the next Carnival that the Griot will be hitting up this year (and one, based on the polls where I should see some of all you too!).

These rounds it's about Huddersfield Carnival.  For those of you who are not UK born and bred, Huddersfield is in West Yorkshire, Kirklees region. Well I always knew Huddersfield had Carnival- it's been going for 26 years and I know that there is a large population of feting Trinis and Grenadians up there, I always knew there was a little carnival session but I didn't think it was Carnival with a capital C. I was mistaken. This Carnival is the full works y'all- a parade, a queen show (who have good foot take in front!) and jourvert. I have never personally been but I have been assured that it is a bess lime.

My contacts tell me that this Carnival evolved from the annual Mayor's Parade to what it is today- a virtual riot of colour, steelpan and mas! There is also usually a Pre Royale event but people I have spoken to don't seem to know if that's happening.

This year it will be held on Friday 9 and Saturday 10 July and de ting sounds promising as jourvert will be held at midnight on Friday 9 and is fete fete fete till morning. Somebody say mud and ole oil!!! This to me evokes the traditional spirit of mas, jourvert- breaking of the day- and to make matters even better the mud packages are only £10 each. Recession friendly.

Over 30,000 are expected to attend Huddersfield Carnival this year. Okay me included so say 30,001.

If you are from London and thinking of going, there is no direct rail to Huddersfield, so those of you who will find the driving arduous, book a place on the coach with Credable before yuh get leff!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment