To you...

This blog is for all the full time lovers of mas, kaiso, pan and soca. Its for all of you who hear soca in your dreams, who get excited at the first snip of braid and sequins, who get serious Carnival tabanca at the first beat of a soca, and who understand the meaning of "fete to fete" and "all night till morning!, who could pick up a bottle and some spoons and make sweet music in a riddim section, who could laugh at the satire of beautiful kaiso music and bawl out- oh lash, lyrics fuh so, who appreciate a corn soup and polouri an some bake an shark after a boss fete...is for all of we... all of us!

Sunday 28 March 2010

Review, First Band Launch of the Year! Dragons: Underworld Uprising

Dragons Mas Band is a relatively new band (edited to say it is not a new band, it has been going for a few years), it is now associated with Release D Riddim, the award winning central London soca fete. I would describe Release D Riddim/ Dragons as what it really means to be all inclusive. Not in terms of amenities that it offers but in that its patrons and bosses truly represent the spirit of carnival- all the islands (and even a few non islands) are represented. At the launch I heard Grenada’s party hit “Accident” played alongside Palance, and bouyon and zouk interspersed with the staple hits of Machel.

Dragons was the first mas band (to my knowledge) to do a full launch this year (Bachanalmas had a prelaunch last year) and they surely kicked off the Carnival season in a big way.

Venue

The venue of the launch was Inn on the Green in Ladbroke Grove. This pub is located upstairs a large building on the Green near Cambridge Gardens and if you didn’t know where it was you would ketch you ass a little bit. This was not helped by the fact that the Hammersmith and City Line was down and so, because I came via P11 (on foot), it was a bit of a trek. That said, when I arrived, music was pumping, food was on sale and the patrons were arriving in steady numbers. There was a good, mellow Caribbean vibe and the music was on point.

Costumes

At about 9 pm, the show started to the delight of the almost 100 patrons, and we were treated first of all to the Dragons presentation for Reading and Huddersfield presentation Palancing Gladiators.






As this costume only cost 35 pounds (including drinks) I was not expecting much especially as a lot of bands go to the regional carnival with Tshirt mas, which in my opinion kills mas-making culture and the spirit of wire bending. The costume (see above) is a standard black bra and belt combo, and I think the Grecian style headband and the Serica inspired cape to the side adds a bit of flair. I would definitely play in this for Reading Carnival, after I added a bit more sequins and braid to the bra. It would work with a pair of knee high gold gladiator sandals and some braid on the arms. Good try! A recession buster- value for money.

The launch then really started in earnest and Underground Uprising began with....


Renegades!


This was one of my favourite costumes of the evening. Renegades are naturally deserters, persons who abandon a cause, the epitome of rebellion, and so black is the natural background on which to hoist this portrayal. I love the movement away from the standard "panty and bra" here to something reminiscent of a warrior like vest, the silver and cape representing armoury and the asymmetrical neckpiece gave it just that bit of added edge. The costume reminded me of Black Spider (in a good way) and the leotard version of this costume actually accented the design.



This was followed by the all male section - Poseidon Enforcer. Poseidon in Greek mythology was the God of the Sea so this costume was (understandably) blue.  I did admire the effort to give the males a real costume (the belt) but I think that some more needs to be added to actually give it the WOW factor. I am also not sure that the males would be wearing the masks all day- they would want to see what bumper they shadowing!

 

Then came the Sirens. The seductresses, bird women by nature.  First of all, I have to say that I found that Dragons catered to women of all shapes and sizes and the models were very much "real women". Kudos for that. As to interpretation, I think the cape and the headpiece certainly gave the impression of birdlike flight but I am not sure that I totally loved the colour palette and the shiny material on this costume. It is extremely blingtastic and I know that some people would love it but I find the costume just a little bit busy. The model sure rocked it though!

The section that followed was Erato, the Greek Muse which means lovely or desired.

I thought that the colour combination of cerulean and silver complemented each other very well but there was something about this costume which wassimple and standard, The headpiece looked sturdy  and because I am sick of feathers, I appreciated this good old craft- back to basics. However, maybe this one could have  beefed up with a few armbands and some more detail on the bra. All in all, basic and cute.

Next was Hestia, Virgin Goddess of the Hearth (Home). I would have thought that a natural colour palette for virginal was white but hey ho, this is Mas! They chose purple and blue and executed it marvellously. My third favourite costume. Again, someone thought of the fuller sized women and they did not let the side down, the second model owned this costume.
For all the divas who love big dramatic feathery headpieces, this one if for you. The passion purple, baby pink and aqua certainly stood out in a big way.



Then came my favourite costume. I am a sucker for a blue costume but that's not why I liked this one. It was not overdone, it was sexy, it was pretty, just enough applique and diamantes to make it sparkle without it being gaudy. This was Demeter- goddess of the harvest. Again here, I thought an plantation green would have worked better but the blue here was rich and I felt that the accents were just enough- not overdone.

The children's section brought up the rear but it was certainly not "last but least". The costume itself  was pretty without being too revealing (I am not a fan of revealing kids' wear) and boasted one of the better designs in my opinion. The multicoloured gemstones set against the irridescent palette was a winner. The headpiece looked dramatic enough and I am a fan of the shorts and vest combo for kids.
(Hmmm wondering if they go to a large?)
I have tried above not to judge the costumes above by TNT standards as the designers are not working within the same price range. I left the launch feeling satisfied with what could be achieved right here in the UK. The costumes are varied enough to have something for everyone.

The costumes cost 110, which I think is on the higher end of the scale but there is also an option to pay in instalments. Overall, I would give Dragons a sound B. There are a couple of really great costumes but probably more just good costumes.I do think Lauren Alexander and her team have done a great job and maybe some more embellishments on a few of the plainer costumes will be added closer to THE DAY. However, based on the enthusiasm of the patrons, the band should have a real "bachanal" atmosphere which I think would catapult it to an A on the band charts.

12 comments:

  1. hey Dragons are not new to the Mas arena they have been around for at least 10 years i believe maybe longer?
    costumes looking decent tho!!

    did you not go to M2k pre Launch??

    next Sat Flagz Mas Band Launch

    Then the BIG BAD BMAS LAUNCH :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Costumes for this are not bad at all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm I have been around mas for the last 10 years and this is the second year I have heard of them.. will edit!! Shows why we need information

    I won't be able to go to Flagz mas band launch as I am away Easter weekend (although my roaming photog will be taking photos)... will be at the Big Bad Bachanal Mas band launch with my hat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea i hope steve can fill us in on info on the band but i have known dragons been round at least since year 2001 at least lol!

    well make sure u introduce yourself if you see me fly by! lol
    costumes are nearly done and i nearly dead! 7 sections 26 options good lord i swear i mad!!! ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys! thanks for the Review Spiceness! Yeah BMas, you right, Dragons have been going for years, 10-15 but they took a break a few years back. Then more or less came back 3 years ago where release d riddim joined up with them. Diane would be able to give a more accurate time line! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, the only costume that is £110 are the Renegade section! all other sections are £100 which includes, food and drink on the road, security and a good time as usual! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes i thought M2k was first up but since you say it was a pre launch i aint miss nothing then?

    Bmas u know when they have their official launch?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Digga i hear its quite in June?? but on trend dais late now, bands launching all in march and april!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Credable for the info... will be trying to compile a calendar for all the different band launches as it seems that this is a bit up in the air. Yes, M2K had a pre launch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So late wow dat is mad late man !! they need time 2 cater, design etc... hmm oh well

    n e one know what are d other dates i have posted n made one error!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bmas can't wait to see all the sections! I am anticipating!

    You will also have a review of Flagz next week- my assistant will be reporting!

    I have made contact with most of the bands and will be posting a calendar of events.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yea!!!! :-))))))))))) i jus cant wait to unviel them!! lol i think i may have gone over board this year but hey ho!!! the only way is up lol

    ReplyDelete